Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hidden Strengths

Just when you think that things are going along smoothly, life has a way of pulling the rug from under your feet. Suddenly, you find yourself in a situation where you need more than your wits to rescue you. You have to discover hidden strengths from within you, not just to get out of the situation, but to overcome and transform it.

It has happened many times in my life, and in the lives of my friends, and I am always amazed at the hidden inner resources that help us during these testing times.

Last week, it happened again.

Rejoining duty after medical leave of 4 weeks, my husband was surprised to find that his services were no longer required by the company. When he called to inform me, I was amazed that my first reaction was not one of fear or insecurity, but relief. I knew he had been unhappy the past year, and I thought this was the best thing to happen. I always believe that when one door shuts in your face, many others open, filled with opportunity.

As friends called and poured out their feelings over the phone or through mail, I was stunned, and grateful. I realized that I had much to be thankful for – a home of my own, good friends, enough money to live by at least for the time being, and above all, we had each other. Every situation is a learning experience, and this has been a fantastic one so far.

Offers of help and possible job opportunities continue to pour in from concerned friends. They are surprised to see that we have taken it so well. But then, what have we lost? A job, yes. In these troubled times, a steady job is important.

But what we have gained is immense. The understanding that this is not the end, that there is more to life than a job you have held for 30 years; the love of so many friends that gives us the energy to carry on ; and the knowledge that, together, we can ride the storm out.

8 comments:

narsim said...

wow.. nice flow of words and good write up madam..

//love of so many friends that gives us the energy to carry on ; and the knowledge that, together, we can ride the storm out. //

True..lovly words

Well Wisher said...

Meena, I appreciate the spirit with which you and your husband have taken the job loss. You are a strong lady indeed - many in your place would have panicked and reacted in ways that could have made the situation grave for both. Not to blame them, what with the sense of insecurity that descends on them. They don’t realise that it’s a delusion really.

Well, I would say that this is not really a terrible thing that’s happened to you. These experiences sure help you to realise what you really are. You get to see what your strengths are. You get to see that you are not alone. You get to see what lies beyond.

Your husband built the company. If he’s done it before he can do it even now. He’s got it in him. He’s lost the job, not his caliber and his spirit to perform – so nothing’s lost really.

I tell you, there’s abundance out there. There’s excitement out there. It’s a new beginning for you and things are going to be better for you. This is not the end – it’s only the beginning. The journey continues, and from here, we’re there with you too.

I wish you and your husband all the best.

Meena said...

@narsim : Thanks and welcome!

@Joshi : Thank you for the encouraging words. You are right about abundance. There really is enough for everybody, and there is no need to panic or become insecure. Thanks for the support.

Unknown said...

A job is just that a job and if one is not happy doing it-then your health and mental well being must take priority.

While I used to love my job, the stress that IBM is putting on my colleagues and I to do more with less, is driving us to the point of insanity.

We too are unhappy, but then a job is needed for stability. I trust in God and the love of my wife and nothing else in life. The seas are choppy and life in the USA is at the worst I have ever seen or imagined. The smiles are long gone and no one at work enjoys what they do anymore. Sad but true.

Now, it is just that a JOB-no big deal.

Vishwa said...

Meena, I hit your Husband's blog through Desipundit--quite an unnerving and emotional situation. And reading what you've written gives another dimension--that all is not lost, that trying times bring out the best in us and makes us aware of the other hidden aspects of life. It's good to see you in such wonderful spirits, in situations as these.
I've heard great stories of recovery after the recession hit common people. I've heard people losing all pettiness and bitterness and becoming resourceful in times of uncertainty. Such stories have always given me hope and great lessons, something that we all need in times as these. I wish you both all the strength, courage and resourcefulness that I always wish for myself.

Meena said...

@Ravi: True, times are difficult, but all is not lost.The love of family and friends will get us through the choppy seas.

@Vishwa: Thank you for the good wishes and the encouraging words. We always have to go beyond the situation; if we give in to the emotional insecurity, we lose out on the lessons of the experience. I am sure, with the love and support of friends like you, we can get through.

Cynic in Wonderland said...

ah you are Rada's wife!! How nice to meet you!

( I have already reacted to this news at his blog, so am not being callous!)

Meena said...

Cynic,
Good to meet you too! Yes, I did read your comments on Rada's blog.