Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The dreaded summer holidays!

When the schools closed in early April, a friend said in a rather resigned tone, "I have to keep my children occupied for 50 days". I was surprised that she was so precise about the number of days, and at her attitude. I later realised that she was not alone in thinking so (sometimes, even I think of the holidays with dread!).

I remember, as a child, the summer vacation was one we looked forward to with glee. Two months of playing, and no studying at all! There were no summer camps or classes, and it was the only time parents did not tell you to study. I have fond memories of summer vacations at my grandmother's house, where all the cousins would have gathered. We were a group of twelve, and it was a wonderful period of bonding.
Even today, when we meet (which is not very often), we can recollect memories of those holidays, and laugh at the pranks we played, and the scrapes we got into. We were out playing, even in the afternoons, but there were enough trees to shade us from the harsh summer sun, and our houses were cool and shady with long verandahs. I can't remember getting a sunstroke, or feeling sick playing in the sun.

I really can't blame children feeling bored today. We live in small apartments, and most of the lovely trees have been cut down. Confined to small rooms, without much space to play, what can we expect them to do? How much of TV or computer games can you play? My family is today scattered over three continents, and school holidays do not always synchronize. Consequently, there are no annual meetings or get-togethers, and keeping in touch with the family requires a certain effort.

Life indeed has changed. While I understand the need for summer camps and classes to keep children occupied, I feel sorry for the present generation of children who may never know the joys of simply doing nothing.

7 comments:

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Nice posts meena. read them all now.

Meena said...

Thank you, Swahilya.

Unknown said...

Meena Chechi-In my days vacations were something my mother looked forward to. It meant going to Kerala, being with cousins and that meant-she did not really have to bother much about Geeta or I.

In so many ways, I wish the world could go back to those simpler times. Life was so much easier.

Those rides from Alatur to Trivandrum and other places meant a lot.

Regards,

Ravi (from Florida)

Meena said...

Thank you, Ravi.Yes, life was much simpler when we were young.However, I would like to think childhood memories help us to face life in all its complexity now..

Unknown said...

Childhood memories to me-mean a time that I wish I could have back.

When life was simpler it was easier and the value of family can only be understood when you lose it or when you live far away in a cocoon.

I miss everyone so much that now it is starting to hurt :-). Old age is only a stones throw away and I look forward to going back to my "ROOTS" and then commuting every so often to the US as long as my health would permit it.

fruitu said...

Nice Blog meena, Nostalgic and very true.

Meena said...

Thank you, fruitu, and welcome back!